Search This Blog

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Why does TV have to swear??

I'm sure he got it from the TV somewhere, Jeff turns on the TV, and watches it when I'm laying down, and stuff; and on New Years everyone was watching "You've got Mail" it's a great movie, but I don't like watching those kinds in front of Gabey. They swear a lot in that movie, (I don't like hearing things like that myself, but I do watch it when Gabey's asleep) and they watched the entire thing with him in the room. I finally got control of the remote and was able to mute out the junk I knew was coming. Then I had to cook dinner, and I have a feeling he heard it then.

Well, yesterday, I had a headache and was laying down, and I heard him and Jeffie in the living room....

Gabey yelled a not good word, I won't print it.
Jeff said, "Where did you learn that??"
and Gabey said it again!
and Jeff yelled, "Stop that!"
so I haven't heard it since.


I'm just so upset. I've been asking for the TV Guardian since he was BORN! We never got it, and this is the result. He's learning words that we don't use in this house.

People say, well you can't shelter him forever.

BUT my argument is that right now...
I know he can't understand what words are good or bad, I know it's not his fault, (and we're not really punishing him, like we would if he was doing something he knew was wrong). BUT I don't want him just parroting things that I wouldn't teach him. When he's older, I know he's going to see and hear things that I can't shelter him from, but I just can't stand hearing those words coming out of my tiny baby kid. It's just sad.
As he gets older we will be helping him understand that there are lots of things that other people do, that we as Christians just shouldn't do, we want to please the Lord.

I got caught up in a show last night. Jeff had it on, and I came in, and started watching it with him, and the people started talking about metro***s, and I without thinking, repeated it because I was shocked, and Gabey repeated it right back to me. I stopped and told Jeff to turn the TV off. A 3 year old doesn't need to be hearing those kinds of things, or seeing those kinds of things. I'm so determined to at least get the TV guardian, so that when junk comes on TV, or the sports have annoying commercials, at least Gabey won't be hearing the swear words, or the crude words. I'd rather just NOT have it at all, but I have to be realistic, and at least do what I can.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

I added your requests and praises to my prayer journal.

I'm sorry that Gabey picked up bad words. :(

~Kristi

Shari said...

he's such a good little boy, as soon as we told him not to say them, he stopped. i'm so glad.