Search This Blog

Saturday, October 15, 2005

A Most Precious Gift


Today is Sweetest Day, a day to show kindness and appreciation to those around us.
I have been given the most valuable gift by the Lord Himself. He showed the greatest kindness in giving His gift of eternal life to me. I have salvation. I have the Lord. That should make Sweetest Day every day for me. I pray that I can learn to be more generous and kind, and I can only hope to someday be more like Him.

My mom and Chrissy came over yesterday, and Mommy came with a most precious gift. I am so touched.

Ever since I was a little girl, my mom has owned 2 very special dolls. When we were at the house where I grew up, she would display them on the bookshelf in the living room. I would ask to change the "Sally" doll, and she would bring out 2 little red suitcases with black handles, and let me pick out an outfit for Sally. Such lovely little dresses, and socks and shoes. Very delicate. I had to be very careful with Sally. I loved Sally, and would pick her up, and feel her weight, and floppy legs. I would feel so honored being allowed to change her into a new outfit that she would display as she sat on the shelf. I could walk by later and know that I picked it out. Sally has the most gorgeous eyes of any doll. I never liked dolls growing up, but I loved Sally. Her eyes are green like my mom's eyes. I have always loved green eyes the best. Mom was given Sally as a gift from her mom when she was a young girl. Her mom went out to look for a doll that wasn't like any other doll. She found Sally. My mom has treasured her ever since. Sally was her first baby. She would feed it mashed up Lorna Dune cookies, and change her using cut rags that were around the house. Her neighbor made little dresses and outfits for her that fit perfectly.

Yesterday, she brought Sally to me.... and gave her to me. I always knew that when the time came, she would come to live with me, but to have her in my house is just overwhelming. She gave Chrissy her other favorite doll, a ballerina with pointed toes.

Thank you so much, Mom, for giving me the honor again of taking Sally from the shelf and caring for her like I did when I was a little girl. I will always remember what a great and valuable gift you gave me, in giving me the care of this delicate, beautiful, precious doll.

No comments: